08 December 2005

One project done, many more to go

Well, I finally finished my Clapotis. I photographed it on an unmade bed which may not have been the smartest idea since it makes the silver color look dull. It actually has a very nice sheen to it and I think it will look even better after some light blocking. Since I know this has come up on the Knitty message board, I did only use 3 skeins but has to stop after the 7th straight row repeat because I was at the end of my second skein. I was able to finish with about 2 yards of yarn to spare.

I have been working on my honey's sweater off and on for a couple of months now. (More off than on, unfortunately.) It will be a wonderful cabled sweater one day. However, there are four-row repeats, 12-row repeats, and one 110+ diamond repeat so I can't ever seem to get the rhythm of the cabling and have to refer to the pattern for every row. Since it was taking so long just to get a few rows done, I decided to skip doing the a swatch--it called for a full diamond repeat and I just couldn't bring myself to knit over one hundred rows just to check that I'm getting the right number of rows/stitches per inch. I keep a fairly even stitch and don't usually have any problems with gauge so I figured I would chance it and just check after I'd done the diamond in the actual piece. However, after reading some horror stories of sweaters gone wrong because people didn't take the time to knit a swatch, I'm thinking about going back to do one. I also liked someone's suggestion that you could use the swatch to test how to wash the finished piece without possibling ruining it.

No comments: