09 August 2014

New Directions

Well, I'd made this great decision to start blogging again and then proceeded to fall of the blogosphere again. This time, it is due to my limited tech options. See, these days I almost exclusively surf the net on my smartphone. I read my blog feeds on my phone, take pics and even check Ravelry forums online. However, responding to a forum post is different from trying to compose a blog post. So, I'm giving this another go from my old laptop. I've got it rigged so that the power cord is held against the computer by a water bottle. Because even when the battery icon says that the computer is charged, it spontaneously dies. oy.

I originally started this blog when I was knitting rather regularly and Ravelry didn't exist yet so it was the best way to share with the crafting community and get to know others. I was never very prolific so I didn't post regularly.

Fast forward several years, I now have two very adorable daughters, 3 year old Pie and 6 month old Bunny. We moved away from family and friends almost 9 years ago and I have yet to find my place IRL. I have friends but none of them are crafty and I work with most of them so it limits some of the conversations we have because I can't be candid about work issues. (Really not interested in my bad day at the office turning into a discussion with HR.) However, the internet continues to provide the greatest source of support for me these days. I read lots of blogs but rarely comment (a major problem with using Feedly on my phone-if you know how to comment on blogs through Feedly, please enlighten me). 

Through these blogs and a good friend, Bobby, I have decided to try to get back in touch with my creative side. Bobby and I knew each other as kids and as adults our lives have intersected every so often. I really admire how he always pursued his dreams no matter how tough it was for him. Always finding a way to reach his goal no matter what the job was. (Seriously, go check out his site, so talented!) One thing he said to me the last time we saw each other in person (many years ago now), I told him that I didn't draw anymore and didn't think I had it anymore. He responded that creativity never goes away, that we just have to spend time rediscovering it. He probably never realized how those words would stay with me.

When we were kids, I dreamt of becoming an artist. In high school, I had a falling out with the head of our art program and never again took art classes. Maybe I wasn't driven enough? I know I was intimidated when I went to college and didn't think I was good enough to get into the art classes as a non-art major. Would it still have been my dream if I had tried? I don't know but I do know that I feel the need to create and I'm trying to figure out what that means to me and how I will go about it.

That brings me back to the blog. I'm hoping to share my journey with you and maybe, just maybe find that creativity that used to come so easily.

Because a post with no pictures is no fun, here's some gratuitous cuteness:

Who can resist cute baby toes?

No comments: