31 August 2014

My First Sewing Project

OK, I'm late to the party--not the first time--the sewing revival party that is. As I mentioned, I have 2 adorable daughters. Pie is tall and very verbal so people often think she is about 5 or 6 rather than 3.5 years old. So far, clothes are not a problem but in the next year or so when she starts wearing true kids clothes (no toddler clothes), styles look decidedly older. While its not too scary and inappropriate, I don't think I want people thinking my 4 year old looks like a tween. (Seriously, she's going to be tall and she already acts older than some kids I've met who are at least 3 years older than she is.) So, I was thinking I needed to learn to sew so I can make the kinds of things that I want her to wear and not be at the mercy of whatever the current fashion is.

As part of my recent discovery of modern quilting (how much do I wish I were this talented), I also discovered Anna Maria Horner designs. First, can I just say how much I want to be her? All that color and fabric and artistic talent. I realized the other day that as much as I love color, I have a very boring palette in my home. I love that in her daughter's interview, Juliana Horner talks about growing up with so much color and creativity. Anyway, I digress. All that to say, that through the Anna Maria Horner site, I came across her Piece of Cake pattern with accompanying YouTube video. With the joys of technology, I literally watched each step and then recreated it for Bunny.

Not too shabby for a first garment:






You can't see it but I'm very enamored of the turquoise bias tape I used to finish the neckline and sleeves. I made the 9 month size but it fits my little one like a tunic top. I'm considering making the 12 month size with long sleeves to see if it will fit her now in the fall. lol

Some take-aways from this project:
Must finish seams! The inside looks all crappy.  I bought pinking shears for the next time. I'm also trying to figure out my rolled hem foot to make up for the fact that I don't have a serger. I've also recently learned how to do a French seam, so that might be an option although I'm not feeling super comfortable varying from the instructions just yet. I also learned to use my blind hem foot, yea! I didn't do a very good job and in some places the thread does more than a little peak-a-boo action but now I know.

I definitely want to do the Paper Fan Dress for Pie. However, the video is a little more sparse--more like highlights rather than a step-by-step tutorial. I still feel like I need some hand-holding as I learn to sew so that pattern will have to wait a bit. However, I definitely think I can handle a pillowcase dress (or it might be more like a shirt for Pie since she is so tall).

I'm also really excited about the advice on Coletterie for beginners. My biggest stumbling block (other than myself) is that the only "real" fabric store around here is Joann's. I have a few quilt shops but nothing that carries fashion fabrics. (FYI, I only learned what "fashion fabric" means in the last month. I'm learning slowly but surely.) I want to be able to feel the fabric so I can get a sense of what it is. I know nothing about fabric and even with the descriptions, I'm not really sure what to expect. Before I start investing in some online swatch gathering, I want to see if I can commit to sewing.

4 comments:

Abena Baiden Bailey said...

Good for you. I'm in the middle of this project and was totally bummed to find it uses bias tape. Hate the stuff so I'm gonna have to work around it somehow. Congratulations on your achievement though!

Abena Baiden Bailey said...

Whoah - writing that down made me realise how ridiculous it is I can't sew bias tape so I gave it another whirl today. Can't say it's perfect but at least it's definitely in the right direction!

stitchcounter said...

Glad you gave it a chance. 😀 I still haven't gotten much further in my sewing journey but I do like the finish that bias tape gives. I've recently been working on making my own so the finish is more like the fashion fabric.

Abena Baiden Bailey said...

My sewing adventures are recorded at my blog imamaker.blogspot.com. My latest (yesterday) is too short for my baby so I'm going to have to refashion my refashion. The adventure never ends...