26 September 2014

Practice, practice, practice

Well, I finished another pillowcase for Pie. (Why yes, I was late to that as well.)

This was my first pillowcase:






Can you tell Pie picked the fabric? I tried to explain the concept of finding matching fabrics but all she cared about was that she liked them. Oh well. It actually doesn't look too bad after the fact.

Here's my seam:



Meh. Not great but I can live with it especially since Pie won't care.


Through the joys of technology and YouTube in particular, I followed along with the Missouri Star Quilt Company video to construct it.

Oh, yeah, she picked this fabric as well:


The seam matching is a little better:


Here's my French seam:



There is fabric for one more stellar (insert eye roll) pillowcase. However, since the dining room table doubles as the cutting table and sewing table, it is going to have to wait for another weekend.

Lessons learned: remember to engage the IDT (Pfaff's version of a walking foot)! Despite careful cutting, I wound up with more fabric along the top of the pillowcase for that first crucial seam so when I checked the it, some fabric wasn't even caught in the seam! Did I rip the seam? No, I was lazy and just put in another seam next to the first one, ensuring that all the fabric was tacked down. In the French seam, you can't tell since its enclosed. Yeah, I don't think I'll be a couture level seamstress any time soon. I like to be done and see the fruits of my labor ASAP. Plus, the time it took me to sew the second pillowcase was all the time I had before Bunny woke up from her nap. I'm also pretty slooowww at this point. My machine and I are getting to know each other on a different level.

I really want to find a place to set up my machine and cutting mat so that when I do have a little time, I don't have to spend it clearing the dining room table (because, yes, there is always stuff on it), wiping it down (no telling what sticky mess is actually still on the table), and setting up the mat to then remove it so I can set up the sewing machine. Sigh. I miss having my own room. However, since I have no desire to share our bedroom with the girls, I'll live with no craft room for now.

No comments: