31 January 2006

Who knits these things?

OK, I know that many of you out there are serious sock-a-holics so maybe you can explain to me the attraction. I have never knit socks and really have no desire to do so. However, I like the whole wrist-warmer/fingerless gloves/gauntlet trend. I figure that small circumference knitting is the same no matter what the finished product is, right? I started out making the Voodoo warmers in the Lion Brand Magic Stripes yarn (Bright Spring). (I know its not the right gauge--I figured its a simple rib pattern so I can make the adjustments.) I started on dpns but I didn't have the right size so the ribbing looked all weird and it didnt' have the right elasticity. Since my handy-dandy Addis came in the mail on Sat., I figured I would try the magic loop technique since I had those in a smaller needle size. Unfortunately, I get this awful stretch in the yarn where the join is. I have tried tightening the stitch but that didn't really help. So I tried the two circ method (the second circ is not as long and not as snazzy as the Addis but I figured that was not the point). Now I have crazy stretching in two places. Argh. I don't know how you sock knitters do it. I finally had to put the whole project away before I hurt someone.

On to happier things, here is the main part of the snowdrop shawl:
Posted by Picasa














Close-up of snowdrop detail Posted by Picasa

I haven't started picking up the stitches for the edging. I will need to schedule a time where no one will bother me for at least a couple of hours. I'm also wondering if the edging will look crappy with the variegated yarn since it won't match the color changes in the main body. I guess I will just have to try it and see.

Since I'm not doing well with the wristwarmers, I guess I should go back to working on hubby's sweater. We won't talk about how long its been in the works....not to mention I have to go back and swatch it because its not looking like its the correct length. oof.

1 comment:

Trillian42 said...

Shawl is so pretty!!!! Are you bringing it with you when you come up to DC for a visit (because you are coming soon, right? We MISS you!)

And clearly you must come visit so we can tackle the beast that is magic loop and/or two circs.

Plus, we MISS you!!!!