14 May 2006

One Skein Exchange

I have never participated in any of the secret pal exchanges out there. Honestly, I've been a little intimidated by all the great and thoughtful packages I have seen others receive and just wasn't sure if I had what it takes to be a good pal. Then along came the One Skein Secret Pal Exchange, only one skein of yarn that you have to send in June and July and then a knit (or crocheted) gift made from one skein sent in August. Surely, even I can do that.

In response to the questions my pal, YourKitchenChick, sent me, here are my responses:

1. Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)?
I would describe myself as pretty down to earth, practical, and easy to get along with. So in terms of yarn, I'm guessing that would translate into something like a wool/cotton blend in a nice solid, basic color like grey or taupe. Of course, I do have a fun side and tend to be attracted to bright reds to contrast against the practical colors.

2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with?
I tend to buy muted colors, like mauve or lavendar but also like bright reds.

3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?
I have used variegated yarns for baby blankets (usually very subtle changes) and for a couple of shawls. I don't usually like them for clothes. Then again, I haven't tried so I might like it after all.

4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?
I used to buy more wool yarns, but since moving to Florida I've been focusing on cotton and cotton blends (usually cotton/acrylic). I'm starting to branch out into other natural fibers like bamboo, soy, and linen.

5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn?
I usually prefer center-pull balls.

6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them?
I have never worked with organic yarns but would definitely be interested in trying them.

7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year?
If we start with January of this year, I have not actually finished any projects but currently have about 4 things on the needles. For 2005, I think I finished 4 projects (shawl, baby pants, 2 baby blankets). To be fair, I just got serious about knitting in the last year.

8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year?
I am working on two sweaters for my husband. Other than that, I don't have any plans for any knitted gifts.

9. What is your favorite one skein project?
I don't have one.

10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?
I am frightened to think of how much yarn I have...I probably have about two bins full of yarn and each bin is about the size of a paper box. I usually buy yarn with a project in mind so I know that I have enough yarn for two sweaters, a large stole, a couple of tanks, and some acrylic yarns for baby blankets. They are all stored in plastic ziploc bags in plastic bins.

11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it?
I don't think so.

12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer?
This is my first year in Florida so I'm knitting tank tops for the first time. I'm also avoiding knitting anything in a heavy wool unless its for felting.

13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?
I belong to the Hurrican Knitters yahoo group and the Knitty Coffeeshop. I just found out about a local knitting group that is starting so I'm hoping to attend that group next week.

No comments: