29 May 2006

Shawl 4, Knitter 0

OK, so when I frogged the edging, I thought I was being all smart by measuring roughly how much yarn I used, plus a little more. (I used the Vickie Howel tip of cutting a piece of cardboard 18" long so that each wrap equals a yard.) I then re-wound the ball of yarn from the end of the ball marking the end of the yards needed for the edging. The plan was to knit repeats until I saw the marker and then I would start the edging. I was able to add two more pattern repeats before I noticed the marker in the yarn. Things were looking good. Unfortunately, the first time around I did not actually cast off the edging. So I was cruising along when I realized that I had about 2 feet of yarn left and still had to cast off 250+ stitches.

Rip, rip, rip.

Trying to avoid frogging too much, I only frogged back to the eighth row of the edging pattern. I left out rows 9 and 10 (just a repeat of the previous two rows) thinking that this had bought me enough yardage to finish the edging. Once again, I thought all was coming together. I even went up a needle size to make sure that I cast off loosely enough. Again, there was about 2 feet of yarn and still half the number of stitches still left to cast off.

Rip, rip, rip.

I thought, perhaps if I didn't go up a needle size, then I would have enough yarn. Nope.

Rip, rip, rip.

OK, so obviously I will have to rip out one of the pattern repeats. So out come all 11 rows of edging. Stupidly, I counted six pattern rows for the main pattern. I forgot to include the purl rows. So when I picked up the stitches, I realized that I had not ripped back far enough.

Rip, rip, rip.

So now I have finally ripped back to the actual end of the previous repeat. I have picked up 200+ stitches again. I am going back to make sure I didn't drop any YOs along the way. Then I will attempt the edging again. I am determined to finish this tonight. Of course, if I screw up again, I'm not sure I can face more frogging and picking up stitches. (Don't anyone say anything about the lack of lifelines--somewhere the Knitting Goddess is laughing at me.)

I should have just accepted the fact that there would be left over yarn and then I could have been done last week. Of course, it would have bothered me to know that I could have added another pattern repeat. Its a sickness I tell you.

1 comment:

Trillian42 said...

Aw, man. That is incredibly frustrating! Just think of how happy you will be when it is all done, though.

And how silly we will look wearing handknit stuff at EdFest. =)